Recipe by Kree
I drink this tea almost every day. The peppermint and fennel both calm the stomach and aid digestion, and the fennel is also great for reducing bloating and gas. Just be careful if you're prone to GERD (heartburn), since peppermint can trigger it in people who are susceptible. For a different flavor, you can replace about half the peppermint with spearmint! Spearmint also helps with digestion.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This is really good. I used half dried out bought fresh mint leaves (spearmint I think) and the honey option and would make this again with honey as well. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Game (Jan - June '10)
- 1 tablespoon dried peppermint (I use dried but I'm sure fresh would be fantastic--I also use a heaping Tbsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup boiling water
- honey or sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the peppermint leaves and fennel seeds into a tea ball or strainer and place the strainer in a mug.
- Make sure the strainer is large enough that there's extra room for the herbs to expand as they brew, otherwise they won't be as potent (I learned this the hard way--if you only have small strainers you may need to use two).
- Add boiling water to the mug and allow tea to steep for 5-10 minutes (any longer and it may start to get bitter).
- Alternately, you can nuke the water in the microwave until boiling and then add the tea strainer.
- Remove the strainer, bobbing it up and down in the mug a few times to release the oils.
- Sweeten the tea with honey or another sweetener of your choice, if desired.
- Sip, enjoy, and feel good.