Even my dairy-eating parents love this recipe! It's a conglomeration of several baked mac and cheese recipes that I have perfected to fit my tastes and dietary needs! This is probably my ultimate comfort food, and it's so easy because there's no stovetop preparation necessary! Feel free to use dairy cheese if you can. I adapted this from some dairy recipes so I know it would still turn out fantastic!
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups soy cheddar cheese (I use Galaxy Foods Veggie Shreds – it's the best soy cheese I've found)
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute or 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- salt and pepper
- soy margarine (or other dairy-free margarine - I only use about 1 Tbsp)
- vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente.
- Drain macaroni and pour into baking dish that's been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add soy cheese, Egg Beaters, soy milk, salt and pepper; mix thoroughly.
- Dot with margarine and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and/or soy parmesan (I also sprinkle this with garlic powder sometimes to give it a little zip!).
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until it is well melted and the top is slightly browned.
- NOTE: Some soy cheeses (including Veggie Shreds) contain casein, a milk protein; to make this recipe completely dairy-free you would need to buy a vegan brand.
- I'm usually pretty liberal with the cheese; I probably use more like 2 1/4 cups!