Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A spooky variation on the popular and traditional sweet snack. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- red food coloring, to taste
- yellow food coloring, to taste
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal (rice krispies)
- 4 ounces orange and black M&M's plain chocolate candy (Halloween mix)
- 4 ounces candy corn
- marshmallows (shaped like ghosts or pumpkins) (optional) or decorative candies, shaped like pumpkins, to decorate (optional)
- Melt the 3 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over low heat.
- While butter is melting, grease a 9x13-inch pan with softened butter or shortening.
- When butter is melted, add marshmallows and stir until they liquify; do not scorch.
- Add red and yellow food coloring to mixture until a nice orange color is achieved (about 2:1 yellow to red).
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in rice krispies.
- Add M&Ms and candy corn, mixing them throughout.
- Spread mixture into the greased pan and press down lightly with a spatula to pack it.
- While it is still sticky, place ghost or pumpkin marshmallows, candy pumpkins, or even more candy corn or M&M's on top to decorate as you desire.
- Allow mixture to set and harden slightly before cutting into squares and serving.
- Store unused treats in an airtight container.
A co-worker prepped a batch of these for our Food.com Halloween sweets party today. Big hit. So cute looking too!
These were a total hit at my son's school - thanks for making me look good, Sue! Everyone was very impressed that they were bright orange and couldn't have been more easy to throw together. Looks like an annual Hallow's Eve tradition!
i love this its so cute and creative plus its great to have a pic