My husband ate a noodle and cabbage dish as a child that was called "krautfrekels", fixed for him by his German grandmother. Since there wasn't a recipe for this dish in the family, I made up this one, which he loves just as much. The original dish didn't have any tomato element, but my husband used to douse it with lots of ketchup. I use spaghetti sauce instead. This is a fast and easy recipe, low in fat, and delicious. We eat it as a vegetarian main dish with some cooked carrots, or corn. It's also excellent as a side dish with roasts or chops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet or pot.
- 2Saute onion, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- 3Add cabbage and continue cooking and stirring for another 5 minutes, until onion is soft and cabbage is wilted.
- 4Add spaghetti sauce and seasonings to skillet and stir to combine well.
- 5Turn heat to low and cover the pan, allowing to cook for around 35-40 minutes.
- 6Cook egg noodles according to package.
- 7Drain, and add to the cabbage and onions in the skillet.
- 8Serve as a vegetarian main dish with some steamed carrots and bread, or as a side dish with roasts or chops.
Nutritional Facts for Krautfrekels
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.4
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 59.8 mg
- Sodium 634.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 16.1 g