Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My husband ate a noodle and cabbage dish as a child that was called "krautfrekels", fixed for him by his German grandmother. Since there wasn't a recipe for this dish in the family, I made up this one, which he loves just as much. The original dish didn't have any tomato element, but my husband used to douse it with lots of ketchup. I use spaghetti sauce instead. This is a fast and easy recipe, low in fat, and delicious. We eat it as a vegetarian main dish with some cooked carrots, or corn. It's also excellent as a side dish with roasts or chops.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet or pot.
- Saute onion, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and continue cooking and stirring for another 5 minutes, until onion is soft and cabbage is wilted.
- Add spaghetti sauce and seasonings to skillet and stir to combine well.
- Turn heat to low and cover the pan, allowing to cook for around 35-40 minutes.
- Cook egg noodles according to package.
- Drain, and add to the cabbage and onions in the skillet.
- Serve as a vegetarian main dish with some steamed carrots and bread, or as a side dish with roasts or chops.
Geema, I just have to send in another review. I LOVE THIS DISH! I make it every other week (at least) and eat it for breakfast or lunch ALL the time! I use Paul Newman's marinara sauce, with Amish noodles (dried) and it is simply delicious! Thank you again for creating this for your lucky husband! (and for lucky me!)
We usually love cabbage too but this was disgusting. We ended up throwing it away. YUCK! Geema, just noticed-do you usually rate your own recipes?
My wife and I love this dish! An instant family favorite.