1/3 Photos of Krautfleckerl- Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles
1 hr 5 mins
This dish has its roots in Hungary but is also popular in Austria and Germany. My German grandmother made this using square pieces of pasta but I will post the recipe as I found it on the internet. I like to fry some chopped bacon and garlic together with the onions and cabbage. This a cheap but very good meal. Edit to say, and hope this helps for others who will try this recipe, the step of letting the cabbage sit in the salt is important, it does add a better flavor to the recipe and the texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the salt and cabbage together and let stand 30 minutes.
- 2Squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Heat the butter in a deep skillet, add the onions, cabbage, sugar and pepper.
- 3Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until cabbage is browned, about 25/30 minutes.
- 4Add the noodles and toss to blend thoroughly.
- 5Note: To reduce fat, you can use just 1 tablespoon butter and saute the cabbage for a few minutes, then finish with a little chicken stock, stirring frequently.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Krautfleckerl- Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.2
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 43.5 mg
- Sodium 1243.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.6 g