Recipe by Rinshinomori
Vienna is one of my favorite cities in the world. I also love Austrian cooking like this one with a glass of chilled gruner veltliner. Using cabbage in dishes always make me happy because it's so nutritious and tasty. I am also posting a homemade fleckerl (egg noodle recipe) if you want to try making your own. Othwerwise, small square noodles or egg noodle work fine here.
Top Review by gemini08
I am born in Austria, just reading the recipe and looking at the picture, i know this is authentic Austrian and delicious! Thank you for posting this, I did not have a recipe for Krautfleckerl, thanks to you - now I do!
- 5 ounces small square noodles (for fleckerl, can use wide egg noodles)
- 1⁄2 cabbage
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 -2 sausage, sliced thinly (any kind)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the cabbage and remove the stalk. Cut into quarters, then cut the quarters into smaller pieces. Add salt to taste.
- Cut the cabbage pieces roughly into squares, bruise by hand and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and caramelize the sugar a bit (this takes about 2-3 minutes on medium heat). Sugar will melt and turn brownish color. Do not burn.
- Add the cabbage, onions and the caraway seeds. Cover, and cook for about 30 minutes on low, stirring regularly, until light brown in color. Season with pepper.
- Brown the sausage slices for several minutes to brown lightly and remove.
- Boil some water and cook the noodles until soft, drain and combine with the cabbage. Let stand for a few minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. Top with browned sausage slices.