Recipe by ***Deanna***
My dad's father was German, and loved Sausage and Sauerkraut. His wife was Irish and loved dumplings. So she came up with this to satisfy both of them! The dumplings really absorb the flavors of the dish. Good, mushy, yummy comfort food! Quick and easy!
- 1 lb Polish sausage or 1 lb kielbasa, cut into 1 inch thick pieces
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In soup pot, add sausage, onion, beef bouillon, and sauerkraut. Add 5 cans of water (use empty sauerkraut cans). Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, stir together Bisquick mix, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and enough milk to make the dough the consistency of concrete.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto the top of pot. Continue cooking on medium, covered, for 10-20 minutes or until dumplings are light and fluffy.
- Serve hot. Also makes great leftovers.