1/2 Photos of Kratzede - Pancake Scrapings
Mia in Germany's Note:
Kratzede are the Badenian version of Austrian "Schmarrn". The regions of Breisgau, Ortenau, the Black Forest and some Upper Rhine towns once were part of Outer Austria, so the cuisine is strongly influenced by Austrian cooking. A fluffy pancake is torn up with the spatula after firming up in the pan. The scrapings can be eaten either as a dessert topped with powdered sugar like "Kaiserschmarrn", or plain with asparagus and sauce Hollandaise. For sweet Kratzede, add 1 tablespoon sugar to the batter. For savoury, add salt to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Divide eggs.
- 2Combine flour and milk, stir until smooth.
- 3Add egg yolks and mineral water, smoothen, season with salt to taste or, for sweet pancakes, add sugar.
- 4Let sit batter for 20 minutes.
- 5Beat egg whites until stiff, fold into batter.
- 6In a skillet, melt one tablespoon butter, add batter so you get a 3/4 inch thick pancake.
- 7As soon as the pancake has set, flip over, fry briefly, then tear the pancake into pieces.
- 8Keep scrapings warm and continue with the rest of the batter, adding more butter to the skillet as necessary.
- 9Serve savoury Kratzede with asapargus ans sauce Hollandaise.
- 10Serve sweet Kratzede dusted with powedered sugar and fruit compote.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kratzede - Pancake Scrapings
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.0
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 211.0 mg
- Sodium 155.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 13.0 g