Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Traditional Russian recipe that is great as a side dish with roasted meat or just by itself as a main dish.
- 1 medium red cabbage
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 apples, cored and sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Wash and shred the cabbage finely. Discard the core and coarse leaves.
- Fry the onion in the oil in a heavy casserole pan, then add the cabbage. Stir for a few minites, add the cup of water, the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, and the apples.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.
Easy to make and tastes great -- especially if left in the refrigerator overnight. I also missed out the salt and pepper and next time, I'll leave out the sugar as the apple sweetens it perfectly.
I really enjoyed this dish. The only change I made was I didn't add any sugar, salt or pepper, and I only cooked it for about 1 hour so the cabbage was still a bit crunchy. I served it with rice for a nice meal on a cold winter day.