Recipe by Sydney Mike
This is an easy working Greek cookie dough & can be worked into various shapes, including the more traditional sprial, ring & S shapes! NOTE: Cooking time is based on having three baking sheets to go in the oven, one after the other! This recipe is very kid-in-the-kitchen friendly!
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, preferrably toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 cups all-purpose flour (more or less)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds, again
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together wine, sugar, salt, oils, cinnamon, cloves & 2 tablespoons sesame seeds.
- Dissolve baking soda in lemon juice & stir that blend into the mixture in the large bowl.
- Sift or whisk flower & baking powder together, then add 5 cups of this mixture to the large bow with the initial ingredients, mixing with handsl
- Continue adding flour & kneading until dough doesn't stick to the hands ~ Don't use all the flour if it isn't needed! Knead until dough is soft, about 8 minutes.
- TO MAKE SPIRALS ~ Take a piece of dough about the size of a small egg & squeeze a few times to soften. Scatter a few sesame seeds on the work surface & roll dough through seeds into a strip about 8 inches long. With strip on work surface, wrap into a spiral shape & tuck the end under the cookie.
- TO MAKE RINGS ~ Take a smaller piece of dough & roll out as above into a strip about 7 inches long. Form into a ring & pinch ends together with wet fingers.
- TO MAKE 'S' SHAPES ~ Take a larger piece of dough & roll out as above into a strip about 10 inches long. Working from both ends, wrap spirals in opposite directions until they meet in the middle.
- Place cookies on a nonstick or lightly oiled baking sheet & bake about 30 minutes.