Recipe by mollypaul
Preparation time approximate. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 cake yeast
- 1 cup milk, lukewarm
- 1 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup almonds, chopped (reserve a few for decorating the cake)
- cinnamon, to taste
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in lukewarm milk.
- Cream butter and sugar, add egg yolks and salt and mix well.
- Add softened yeast and flour gradually.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double.
- Combine ingredients for filling and blend thoroughly.
- Roll dough into a rectangular shape, spread with filling and roll as for a jelly roll.
- Grease a fluted ring pan and place dough in pan (or form into a ring on a greased baking sheet).
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Brush with frosting and decorate with slivered almonds.