Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These crisp cookies are shaped into cones while they are still warm. They can be made ahead and stored in an airtight tin. Just before serving, fill them with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. They are from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- fresh strawberries, halved
- Heavily grease 4 baking sheets. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Blend in the flour. Whip the egg whites until stiff and blend into the mixture along with the vanilla.
- Using a teaspoon, place 2 to 3 rounds of the mixture well apart on each cookie sheet; as the mixture spreads use a butter knife or spatula dipped in cold water to shape the mounds into 3-inch rounds.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 5 to 6 minutes until edges of the cookies are just beginning to brown. Quickly remove each from the sheet with a thin wet spatula. Shape into a cone and place each in the neck of a bottle to set. When cones have set, transfer them to a cake rack to cool.
- To serve, fill each cone with a spoonful of whipped cream and decorate with a whole or half strawberry. You may keep the cones upright by placing them in about 1 inch of sugar in the bottom of the serving bowl.