1/1 Photo of Kozhi Shtoo (South Indian Chicken Stew)
1 hr 30 mins
This is a wonderful sounding recipe from the Indian state of Kerala. I have not tried it yet, but I plan to soon!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 1/2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- 3 large onions, cut in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into fine half rings
- 1 1/2 inches piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 fresh hot green chili peppers, slit slightly down their center
- 2 1/2 cups thin coconut milk
- 3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1 inch thick fingers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or any other vegetable oil)
- 4 tablespoons peeled and finely sliced shallots
- 15 curry leaves (fresh or dry)
- 1 1/4 cups thick coconut milk
- 1Over a medium flame, heat 6 tablespoons of oil in a large, wide-based casserole pan.
- 2When hot, put in the peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cloves and cardamom pods.
- 3Stir once and add the ginger and onions.
- 4Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- 5Put in the flour and stir it around for half a minute.
- 6Add the green chillies, chicken, and thin coconut milk. bring to a boil.
- 7Cover, then turn the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 8Add the potatoes and the salt and stir.
- 9Bring to a boil, then cover. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are tender.
- 10Stir in the lemon juice.
- 11Heat the coconut oil in a small frying pan on medium heat. When hot, put in the sliced shallots.
- 12Stir and fry the shallots until they are lightly browned.
- 13Put in the curry leaves and stir for a second.
- 14Pour the contents of the frying pan into the chicken stew. Stir in the thick coconut milk and add it to the stew as well.
- 15Bring to a simmer, stirring gently all the time.
- 16As soon as the first bubbles appear, turn off the heat.
- 17Serve with hoppers (rice pancakes) or plain rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kozhi Shtoo (South Indian Chicken Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (762 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1361.1
- Calories from Fat 780
- Total Fat 86.7 g
- Saturated Fat 52.6 g
- Cholesterol 283.3 mg
- Sodium 1323.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 80.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods