Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The website about travel in Egypt says that this is the trditional way to prepare fish in Alexandria (Egypt). Use any white sea fish that is not flaky. Submitted for Visit Egypt / NAME forum May 2012.
- 1 lb fish, filets
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 medium onions
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 cup tomatoes, canned
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying
- In a mortar or spice grinder, grind cumin and coriander seeds with salt and pepper finely.
- Wash fish and rub with one clove garlic and then with the spice blend and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Grind the allspice berries.
- Finely slice onions, fry with soome oil in a skillet until golden.
- Add tomato paste, roast slightly. Add canned tomatoes, ground allspice and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for two or three minutes.
- Dust fish filets with flour, fry in some oil from both sides until gilden brown.
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees F.
- Drain fried fish on paper towel.
- Fill half of the tomato sauce into a baking pan, layer fish on it and top with the rest of the sauce.
- Bake at 370 F for 10-15 minues.
- Serve with rice or flatbread.