Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 150 g honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 50 g almonds
- ground cinnamon
- Beat the egg and sugar together until light.
- Mix in the honey, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda.
- Gradually stir in the flour and beat the batter till blended.
- Brown 2 tbsp of sugar in a small saucepan.
- To it, add 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp of water and bring to a boil.
- Add this to the batter with the honey to make the batter brown.
- Pour into a buttered baking pan that has been dusted with flour.
- Smooth the top and sprinkle the silvered almonds.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 15- 20 minutes.
- After the cake cools, cut it into 2 layers and spread a filling of jam in between.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
This recipe did not mention butter or oil? I tried the recipe as is and it turned quite bland and not moist and soft at all. Was this omitted by mistake? It was okay after adding the jam, but wasn't that great eating without jam.