Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Lebanese cooked stuffed zucchini.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup lean ground meat
- 1 cup rice
- 4 medium peeled chopped seeded tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- Clean the zucchini. Cut one end and make a hole through the zucchini, leaving 1/4 inch at the end, taking all the seeds from inside.
- Mix meat, rinsed and drained rice, dash of salt, pepper and cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions.
- Stuff the zucchini with the meat mixture. Fry them with 2 tablespoons shortening till lightly brown.
- Add tomato, chopped and sauce, and more water just till covered. Let boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and let cook till done, about 30 minutes. If some of the stuffing is left, add it to the sauce before cooking.
- Serve with pita bread.
- From "One Thousand And One Delights" by Nahda Salah.
- available through International Promoters of Art Inc.