Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A classic Greek cookie recipe
- 1 cup sweet butter
- 1 lb Crisco (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 lbs flour (about ( 5 or 6 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup ouzo (vanilla, almond) or 1⁄4 cup cognac (vanilla, almond) or 1⁄4 cup other flavoring (vanilla, almond)
- 1 cup chopped almonds (lightly roasted)
- powdered sugar, to dust (a small bag)
- Mix sugar, Crisco & butter until fluffy. Add eggs & beat well. Mix baking soda with lemon juice in a glass (it will fizz) & pour into mixture.
- Add ouzo & mix. Add baking powder to flour & add flour gradually to the mixture. Mix in almonds.
- Use cookie cutters or shape into circles & crescents.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes until light brown.
- Remove & cool. Sprinkle with powder sugar by layering bottom of pan with sifted powdered sugar. Place cookies in pan & sift more sugar on top.