Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Receipe was handed down from my my grandfather (Via my aunt who used to make hundreds every Easter and New Years for parties that lasted at least 3 days) This receipe can be halved or quartered.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup oil
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour, -approximate . use only enough to make batter come away from bowl
- poppy seed
- 1 beaten egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Beat together vanilla, oil and eggs.
- Add sugar, salt and baking powder and mix.
- Add about half of the flour and mix. Gradually add the remaining flour until mixture comes away from the bowl. Do not over-add flour.
- Pinch off pieces of dough and roll into pencil-thin strips about 6 inches long. Fold in half and twist into a rope. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake 350 about 15 minutes.
We used this for my son's project on Greece. It was easy to follow, fun to make and good to eat. Thanks for the unique cookie to add to our favorites!