- 4 cups all-purpose flour (or more)
- 10 ounces water, lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 3⁄4-1 cup sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingrdients EXCEPT sesame seeds to form a dough and knead by hand for approximately 10 minutes.
- You might need to add a little more flour, the dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Cover and let dough rise for about 30-50 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile preheat oven (440°F, 225°C) and grease baking tray or cover it with baking paper. Put a wide ovenproof dish filled with hot water on the bottom of the oven to have steam, which will make for a better result.
- Knead dough a second time and divide into 8 portions.
- Form each part into 13-14 inch long roll (about 3/4-1 inch thick). Shape into rings and press ends together.
- Put some warm water into a large bowl. Put sesame seeds on a plate.
- Carefully dip rings into warm water and then into sesame seeds to cover them on both sides.
- Put rings on baking tray and let rise for another 10 minutes.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes.
- Koulóuria are done, when they are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.