Recipe by Member #610488
Kouhaku namasu combines lightly preserved daikon radish and carrots for a delicious red and white dish that is a staple of New Year’s meals.
- 1 daikon radish (7.5 inches)
- 1⁄2 carrot (2.5 inches)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the daikon and carrot. Make slices about 2.5 inches long.
- Put sliced daikon and carrots in a bowl. Sprinkle salt on them. Lightly knead them and let sit for 10 minutes.
- When daikon and carrot have become pliant, squeeze out excess moisture by hand. Mix in the rice vinegar, sugar and soy sauce, and let sit in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. It’s now ready to serve.