Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 4 mins
A delicious vegan meatless meatball recipe from Scandinavia. For the vegetarian gravy, you can purchase packaged gravy mixes. Just follow package directions. This recipe was found on earthyfamily.com
- Place potatoes in medium saucepan, cover with water, add vegetable cube, and boil until potatoes are soft.
- Drain water from potatoes (saving the water to make gravy), mash and let cool.
- In the meantime, heat oil in small frying pan, add onions and cook until they just start to brown.
- Place flax seed in small bowl, add ¼ cup of hot water and let stand for about 10 minutes for flax seed to absorb the water.
- When the potatoes have cooled add the soaked flax seed and water, ground almonds, salt, pepper, and cooked onions.
- Mix together and roll into small balls.
- Heat olive oil in large fry pan; add the balls and brown nicely on all sides. Transfer the balls into a shallow cooking dish, and cook for approximately ¾ hour at 350°F.
- While the meat(less) balls are cooking, make a vegetarian gravy.
- Pour over the balls and continue cooking for an additional 20 minutes.
This made a nice dinner using Really Easy Vegan Gravy or Cheese Sauce as the gravy. Potatoes and gray, how can you go wrong? Thanks! Made for Newest Zaar tag in the game room.