Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 4 mins
A delicious vegan meatless meatball recipe from Scandinavia. For the vegetarian gravy, you can purchase packaged gravy mixes. Just follow package directions. This recipe was found on earthyfamily.com
- Place potatoes in medium saucepan, cover with water, add vegetable cube, and boil until potatoes are soft.
- Drain water from potatoes (saving the water to make gravy), mash and let cool.
- In the meantime, heat oil in small frying pan, add onions and cook until they just start to brown.
- Place flax seed in small bowl, add ¼ cup of hot water and let stand for about 10 minutes for flax seed to absorb the water.
- When the potatoes have cooled add the soaked flax seed and water, ground almonds, salt, pepper, and cooked onions.
- Mix together and roll into small balls.
- Heat olive oil in large fry pan; add the balls and brown nicely on all sides. Transfer the balls into a shallow cooking dish, and cook for approximately ¾ hour at 350°F.
- While the meat(less) balls are cooking, make a vegetarian gravy.
- Pour over the balls and continue cooking for an additional 20 minutes.