Recipe by madison.cherpas
A delicious Greek recipe passed down by my Yaiyai. The soup and sauce are cooked separately. Perfect soup for a sore throat.
- 3 -4 lbs chicken (any variation)
- 2 stalks celery & leaves
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 whole green onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 quarts water
- 3⁄4-1 cup long grain rice
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 1 cup boiling broth (homemade or otherwise) or 1 cup stock (homemade or otherwise)
- 1 -4 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover chicken, vegetables, and parsley with water; bring to a boil. Skim off scum if any accumulates.
- Reduce heat and cook partially covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; set aside to cool and cut into bite sized pieces when cool enough to touch.
- Strain broth into a small pot, discarding vegetables.
- Return broth to the stove. Add the rice. Bring broth and rice to a boil.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites with a dash of salt until thick but not dry. Add yolks one at a time until well blended.
- Slowly beat in lemon juice and hot broth separate from the broth you just prepared.
- Put in a sauce pan over low heat and stir regularly until it is the texture of gravy. DO NOT let sauce boil as it will curdle.
- Once the rice and broth boiled, reduce heat and cook covered until rice is tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Return chicken to pot.
- Blend hot soup with avgolemono sauce.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh parsley.