Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This is such an easy recipe to make - quick and always draws raves - companies coming and this can be made up quickly and would even impress the boss
- 4 lbs roasting chickens, cut into quarters
- 3 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup oregano (fresh chopped do not sub dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters, lengthwise. Salt and pepper the chicken and potatoes. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan, and add potatoes, on and around the chicken. Add oregano, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice, distributing evenly across the pan. Add water and roast uncovered at 355°F for a total of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Half way through (50 minutes), turn the chicken.
Easy and superbly flavoursome - which means I'll certainly be making this again. I scaled the recipe back for two and used (skin on) chicken thighs. I still cooked more potatoes than we ate for this meal as I anticipated - correctly - that cooked with so many yummy ingredients that they would be enjoyed over the next few days in other dishes. The only changes I made were to proportionally increase the garlic (as we love garlic) and to use part Vegetable Stock and part white wine instead of water. On the recommendation of other reviewers I turned the potatoes when I turned the chicken so that they were well-flavoured with the amazingly delicious juices. My chicken and potatoes were in the oven for about an hour and 10 minutes. I followed AuntSana's superb idea for reducing the fat: a nifty trick which I'll also be using for other recipes. Thank you, Ravenseyes, for sharing this wonderful recipe!
I hesitate to review this recipe because I really took some liberty in altering it. But I just wanted to thank you so much for the inspiration and method of cooking chicken and potatoes in the oven. I made a much smaller version using 4 chicken thighs and 2 potatoes. I made a paste of fresh minced garlic and salt and rubbed it over the thighs. I salt and peppered the cut up potatoes and drizzled and tossed them with olive oil and added them to the baking dish. I squeezed fresh lemon juice over the entire pan, then added chicken broth to the bottom of the pan and baked per recipe. Absolutely awesome! The potatoes are so soft and full of flavor. I have already made this twice in a short amount of time and will make it a regular on our menus. Thank you so much!
What a pleasure to review this delicious recipe. It is so easy and so tasty. I used thighs (skin on). I should have used a larger baking dish, The potatoes were packed in a bit tight so did not get very brown but the were very good anyway. The chicken was moist and loaded with flavor. I thought, when I looked at the recipe, that the bake time was really long but even with using just thighs I baked them for 1 hour 30 minutes. Thanks for this definitely do again recipe We loved it!