Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From The Food and Wine of Greece - by Diane Kochilas.
- 1 roasting chicken (3-4 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups orzo pasta
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 cup peeled chopped plum tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄3 cup brandy
- 4 cups water
- grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash chicken and rub outside and inside with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Season skin with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a medium-to-large baking pan, preferably glass or clay, and spread orzo evenly around chicken.
- Add remaining oil and other ingredients except cheese and toss in pan to combine.
- Place pan, uncovered, in hot oven and reduce heat to 350°F
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, basting chicken every 10 to 15 minutes with pan juices, until chicken is tender and orzo cooked, adding more water, if necessary, during baking if orzo seems too dry.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.