Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
My husband developed this recipe himself, based on what he remembered of his mother's cooking. This is good immediately, but even better the second day, so it's a great make-ahead dish for company.
- 2 lbs green beans
- 3 carrots
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 7 garlic cloves
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) canorganic tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons dried oregano
- 7 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Cut beans into bite size pieces.
- Peel carrots & slice 1/4" thick.
- Peel potatoes & cut into 1" chunks.
- Dice onion.
- Slice garlic.
- Dice tomatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Mix water, tomato paste, oregano, bay leaves & salt.
- In a large (12") skillet with high sides, bring olive oil to high heat and saute onions and garlic till golden.
- Add green beans, carrots, potatoes and liquid mixture, one half at a time, in order. (You do not need to stir if you do this, which is good because it will fill the pan to the top.).
- Cook over high heat till it begins to boil , then turn down to medium and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes, or till the green beans are done to your liking.