Recipe by chakrates
My husband developed this recipe himself, based on what he remembered of his mother's cooking. This is good immediately, but even better the second day, so it's a great make-ahead dish for company.
- 2 lbs green beans
- 3 carrots
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 7 garlic cloves
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) canorganic tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons dried oregano
- 7 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beans into bite size pieces.
- Peel carrots & slice 1/4" thick.
- Peel potatoes & cut into 1" chunks.
- Dice onion.
- Slice garlic.
- Dice tomatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Mix water, tomato paste, oregano, bay leaves & salt.
- In a large (12") skillet with high sides, bring olive oil to high heat and saute onions and garlic till golden.
- Add green beans, carrots, potatoes and liquid mixture, one half at a time, in order. (You do not need to stir if you do this, which is good because it will fill the pan to the top.).
- Cook over high heat till it begins to boil , then turn down to medium and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes, or till the green beans are done to your liking.