Another one my grandmom used to make and no one has the recipe. After hours of searching the web, I finally found it (I didn't even know the name before!). This version is from Linda Paul, who won a Christmas cookie contest in Minneapolis with them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus
- extra unsalted butter, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 2/3 cups flour, plus
- extra flour, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter and flour bottom and sides of a 9-by 13-inch cake pan.
- 3In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and granulated sugar.
- 4Add egg yolks, one at a time, and beat until fluffy.
- 5Add vanilla, lemon rind and lemon juice and beat to combine.
- 6Gradually add in baking powder and flour.
- 7In a medium bowl using electric mixer on high speed (with clean beaters), beat egg whites until stiff.
- 8Fold egg whites into batter.
- 9Gently spread batter into prepared pan.
- 10Evenly sprinkle top with finely chopped walnuts and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
- 11Remove to a wire rack.
- 12Cool until cake shrinks away from sides of pan (about 15 minutes).
- 13With a small round biscuit cutter (or a glass), periodically dipped in powdered sugar, cut one circle (don't remove it), then cut another circle halfway down the first one, making two crescents and one oval scrap.
- 14Remove from pan and repeat (you can eat the oval scraps;).
- 15Cool crescents completely and dust with powdered sugar.
- 16Store in a tightly covered container for up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kossuth Kifli (Hungarian Cakey Cookie Aka Half Moons)
Serving Size: 1 (1370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2652.6
- Calories from Fat 1531
- Total Fat 170.1 g
- Saturated Fat 70.0 g
- Cholesterol 1090.0 mg
- Sodium 659.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 246.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 154.7 g
- Protein 50.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of