Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
An old casserole with hamburger, kidney beans, and potatoes. its a fast pantry kinda dish that you throw in oven and forget its kinda a chili dish with out the heat .i had to rework this recipe as i got Darlene's shorthand wrong as she wrote 1c i thought she meant 1 c not one can as i made the recipe i found the error of my ways unfortunately so did Charlotte j .sorry
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup potato chips
- Place hamburger in bottom of baking dish.( i used 9x9 and it was full).
- Add a layer of sliced onion.
- Add a layer of one inch thick sliced potatoes.
- Put in kidney beans with the juice from the can.
- Add can tomatoes, with juice or 1 can tomato soup. with water
- Salt and pepper to taste.cover with foil bake 1 hour at 425 degrees put on cookie sheet as this is so full
- Crush potato chips over top. (i think crushed soda crackers could work here too ).
- Bake for 30 minutes.
I will make a few changes to this recipe, so that is the reason for 3 stars and not 4. I sprayed the bottom of a 7x10 stoneware baking dish. The hamburger was first crumbled into the bottom then pressed it down. It was topped with the ONE layer of onions, ONE layer of potatoes, beans and then tomatoes. I put a cookie sheet on top of the casserole and baked at 375 degrees for over an hour. The kidney beans came out a little dehydrated and tomatoes roasted. I did remove the cookie sheet for 10 minutes and put back on when after 40 minutes of baking and the potatoes were still hard. My suggestion is to use aluminum foil and wrap your dish tight, to keep in what little moisture there is. You may want to try turning the temperature back to 350 degrees and add 1/4 cup water or beef broth. I will try this again with these changes. Made for Please Review My Recipe