Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
from darlene kossman , its very old recipe she used home canned tomatoes with bacon ,corn and onion i have made it with boughten tomatoes this is a very good rice dish ,it is no way really mexican , i used rice with this didnt have to wash cause no talc on rice ,or bugs or dirt either we have come a long way lol
- wash rice dry thoughly with a cloth.( i skipped this step and used brown rice ).
- fry bacon strips until limp, not crisp. i used cast iron skillet cause then you can just put in oven .
- remove bacon from pan.
- brown the rice and minced onion in the bacon fat.
- stir constantly to prevent burning.
- add chili powder.
- when brown add tomatoes and seasonings. (darlenes canned tomatoes had alot of juice for this dish ,if using canned store bought just fill can with water after dumping in tomatoes).
- let simmer until rice swells up.
- one pint of drained corn may be added at this time if desired. (i used 1/2 cup ,it was plenty ).
- pour into greased baking dish and bake 40 minutes in 350 degree oven.
- place the bacon strips over dish about 10 minutes before removing from oven.