Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Saw this in today's paper and thought that it looked very flavorful and delicious.
Make and share this Koshi Ishtu - Kerala Chicken Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 cardamom pods, cracked open
- 6 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons green chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground to a powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces small potatoes, halved
- 1 cup green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup carrot (chopped into 2-inch by 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, stripped (about 25)
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and julienned
- 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- rice, to serve
- Rinse and pat the chicken dry; set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the next five ingredients and saute briefly until fragrant, about 40 seconds.
- Add the onion, and saute until translucent, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the minced ginger and green chilies; saute 2 minutes.
- Add the fennel, turmeric and salt, and stir into the mixture.
- Push the mixture to the side and add chicken, folding each piece in half.
- Spoon the mixture on top and brown for about five minutes.
- Flip the chicken to brown other side and continue cooking for about five minutes.
- Stir the chicken to mix well with the masala.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to the boiling point.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is partially cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, beans, carrots, curry leaves, julienned ginger and garlic.
- Bring back to the boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and peas; continue to cook at a simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot over rice.