Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Saw this in today's paper and thought that it looked very flavorful and delicious.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 cardamom pods, cracked open
- 6 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons green chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground to a powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces small potatoes, halved
- 1 cup green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup carrot (chopped into 2-inch by 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, stripped (about 25)
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and julienned
- 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- rice, to serve
- Rinse and pat the chicken dry; set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the next five ingredients and saute briefly until fragrant, about 40 seconds.
- Add the onion, and saute until translucent, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the minced ginger and green chilies; saute 2 minutes.
- Add the fennel, turmeric and salt, and stir into the mixture.
- Push the mixture to the side and add chicken, folding each piece in half.
- Spoon the mixture on top and brown for about five minutes.
- Flip the chicken to brown other side and continue cooking for about five minutes.
- Stir the chicken to mix well with the masala.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to the boiling point.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is partially cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, beans, carrots, curry leaves, julienned ginger and garlic.
- Bring back to the boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and peas; continue to cook at a simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot over rice.