Saw this in today's paper and thought that it looked very flavorful and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 cardamom pods, cracked open
- 6 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups onions, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons green chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground to a powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces small potatoes, halved
- 1 cup green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup carrot (chopped into 2-inch by 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves, stripped (about 25)
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, peeled and julienned
- 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- rice, to serve
- 1Rinse and pat the chicken dry; set aside.
- 2Heat the oil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- 3Add the next five ingredients and saute briefly until fragrant, about 40 seconds.
- 4Add the onion, and saute until translucent, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 5Add the minced ginger and green chilies; saute 2 minutes.
- 6Add the fennel, turmeric and salt, and stir into the mixture.
- 7Push the mixture to the side and add chicken, folding each piece in half.
- 8Spoon the mixture on top and brown for about five minutes.
- 9Flip the chicken to brown other side and continue cooking for about five minutes.
- 10Stir the chicken to mix well with the masala.
- 11Add 1 cup water and bring to the boiling point.
- 12Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is partially cooked, about 15 minutes.
- 13Add the potatoes, beans, carrots, curry leaves, julienned ginger and garlic.
- 14Bring back to the boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 15Add the coconut milk and peas; continue to cook at a simmer until vegetables are tender.
- 16Serve hot over rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Koshi Ishtu - Kerala Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 671.8
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 188.8 mg
- Sodium 1168.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: