Recipe by Dragoness
Don't be put off by the amount of cooking time (I've quoted the longest time). It is well worth the wait and develops the flavour better with the long cooking. This recipe is adapted slightly from the original which was found at Just Slow Cooking.com.
Top Review by Janette1
Wow what a great recipe. I made it for a vegetarian guest who was staying over the weekend. I wasn't really looking forward to eating it because I like lumps of meat in my cholent but I have to say the lima beans (butter beans in the UK) are really meaty. The dish was a great success, many thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried large lima beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes or 4 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons vegetarian chicken soup mix or 5 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon paprika (I find using half smoked bittersweet paprika and half regular paprika adds depth to the final flavou)
- 4 cups hot water
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight, then drain.
- Or, follow package directions for quick soaking.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and saute the garlic, onions and celery until tender.
- Put in slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, beans, bay leaf and paprika.
- Dissolve the soup mix in 1 cup of the hot water and add to the vegetables with the remaining 3 cups of water.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover tightly and cook on low 18-24 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Makes four very generous servings.