Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
Delicious, fall-apart-tender brisket. I usually make this with Bison (buy from www.kosherbison.com) but it's also great if you use a Beef Brisket.
- Brown the brisket in a large frying pan coated with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil for 5-10 minutes per side.
- Place the brisket fat side up into a deep roasting pan.
- Slice the onions thinly and sauté them in the same frying pan with 2 more tablespoons of olive oil until golden brown.
- Cover the brisket with the sautéed onions.
- Sauté the shallots in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil then set aside until later.
- Deglaze the frying pan with the chicken stock, then pour the stock over the brisket.
- Mix the dates, garlic, cloves, orange juice and tomato puree in a blender or food processor until liquefied.
- Pour this mixture over the brisket, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Uncover, add the shallots, re-cover and bake an additional 1 1/2 hours or until done, removing the cover for the last 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the brisket from the pan, reserving the juices, onions and shallots in the pan.
- For a little added flavor, you can place just the brisket on a grill, with wood smoking chips, for 10-15 minutes if desired.
- Let the brisket stand for 15-30 minutes so that its juices can re-distribute.
- Slice thinly.
- Use the reserved braising liquid along with the shallots and onions for a serving sauce.
- Great with Kasha and veggies!