Recipe by Olha
These are quick to make. use either small whole cucumbers or cut large ones into quarters. for an additional interesting flavor, tuck a small dried hot red pepper into each jar. Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving.
- 3 lbs small pickling cucumbers
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 4 heads fresh dill or 4 teaspoons dill seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- CUT A THIN SLICE FROM THE ENDS OF EACH CUCUMBER.
- MEANWHILE, COMBINE VINEGAR, WATER AND SALT IN A SAUCEPAN AND BRING TO A BOIL.
- REMOVE HOT JARS FROM CANNER.
- PLACE 1 HEAD FRESH DILL OR 1 teaspoons DILL SEEDS AND 1 CLOVE GARLIC INTO EACH JAR; PACK IN CUCUMBERS.
- POUR BOILING VINEGAR MIXTURE OVER CUCUMBERS TO WITHIN 1/2 INCH OF RIM (HEAD SPACE).
- PROCESS 10 MINUTES FOR PINT JARS AND 15 MINUTES FOR QUART JARS.
- TIP: Garlic may turn blue or green in the jar.
- Nothing to be alarmed about, it is only the effect of the acid on the natural pigments in the garlic.