1/2 Photos of Kosher Perfect Matzo Balls
Yosef Vernon's Note:
OK, OK, I know; your bubbie made the perfect matzo balls. But they are finicky little rascals that are made a 1000 different ways and everyones bubbies always made them best. What I want to share here is the simplest, no nonsence methode of the creation of soft and/or firm matzo balls; for just like white and dark meat people, there are soft and firm matzo ball people.
My Private Note
Matzo B ...
Units: US | Metric
For soft matzo balls
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons oil or 4 tablespoons melted schmaltz (fat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
For firm matzo balls the above plus
Optional Ingredients --- all some or none
- 1Follow these instructions carefully.
- 2Measure and mix dry ingredients into a bowl.
- 3Individually break the eggs into a clear glass, discarding any with blood spots, and then pour into a second bowl.
- 4Add oil or schmaltz (and water or broth for firm matzo balls) to the eggs and stir gently with a fork until the yolks are broken and the oil just mixed.
- 5Pour egg mixture into the dry mixture and gently mix with the fork.
- 6DO NOT OVER MIX.
- 7Treat it like a muffin mixture; if you over mix they will be tough.
- 8Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- 9Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil on the stove.
- 10After matzo ball mix has set, gently remove teaspoon fulls of the batter and roll into 1-2" balls and drop into the water.
- 11When all the balls are in the water leave it to boil until all the balls float to the top, then lower the temperature to a rolling simmer for 40 minutes and your matzo balls will be ready.
- 12DO NOT STIR AT ANY TIME.
- 13The matzo balls may be removed from the water with a slotted spoon and served in soup, with a stew, as a side dish with gravy or placed on a cookie sheet and frozen covered for a later use.
Nutritional Facts for Kosher Perfect Matzo Balls
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 41.3 mg
- Sodium 154.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g