Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From an old Better Homes and Gardens Home Canning Cookbook. I've been making these pickles for over 20 years now, and the key is getting the pickles from vine to jar ASAP-- no more than a week, and store in the fridge. Smaller pickles tend to stay crisper than larger ones, whole more than slices or spears.
- Wash cucumbers.
- Mix vinegar and water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- To the bottom of each jar, add 2 heads dill, one garlic clove, one tablespoon salt, and the pepper (if desired).
- Pack cucumbers into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Pour boiling liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Wipe rims, place lids.
- Adjust bands fingertip tight, and process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- Add one minute to processing time for every 1000 feet above sea level. Remove to a protected surface to cool completely.
- Makes 5 quarts.