Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A Thick stew that can also be made with chicken or turkey. Great comfort food for a cold day or any time.
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (kosher)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 sweet onion, diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces carrots, diced
- 1 bunch celery heart, diced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups kosher beef soup mix
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Layer ingredients into a crock pot as follows:.
- Flour, Corn Starch and Seasonings.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 10-12 hours.
- Drop kosher dumpling mix on top for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Made this recipe Thursday overnight, left it on low and it was ready for Friday night dinner. Didn't have any beef soup mix so I browned the beef in a pan, then deglazed the pan with water and diluted to create 3 cups broth. Result: good stew, but a bit bland. The beef I used was a bit too lean. Try to get stew beef with some marbling. Additions I'll try next time: barley, Tabasco.