1 hr 20 mins
This carb-heavy dish is Egyptian comfort food. This recipe was cobbled together by Nick Kindlesperger in an attempt to recreate a dish he saw on Anthony Bourdain's _No Reservations_. It's simply and home-y, but is a little fussy because everything has to be cooked seperately, then combined at the end. Published at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/fYRzQC
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3/8 lb dried brown lentils
- 1/2 lb elbow macaroni (or any other compact pasta shape) or 1/2 lb ditalini (or any other compact pasta shape)
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 1For the Tomato and Garlic sauce: Pour olive oil into a medium-sized saucepan set over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the water and vinegar, and turn the heat to high. When it starts to boil, immediately turn off the heat. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl, season with salt to taste, and set aside.
- 2For the Koshary: Pour one tablespoon of olive oil into a large, heavy skillet set over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add onion and stir well. Once coated in the oil, reduce heat to low and cook until heavily caramelized, about 45 minutes to an hour. Stir often.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F Also, fill a medium-sized pot with water, salt heavily and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta until al dente, then remove to a bowl with a strainer. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 4Bring water back to the boil. Add the lentils, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until cooked, but still al dente, about 15 minutes. Drain lentils and set aside to cool.
- 5Pour two tablespoons of olive oil into a dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the cinnamon sticks and stir until fragrant. Add the cardamom, cumin, and rice. Stir well; cook until the spices are aromatic and the rice is mostly opaque. Add water. Bring to a boil, stir well and cover. Place in the oven and cook for 13 minutes. If done, fluff with a fork, and season with salt to taste.
- 6Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon of oil. When shimmering, add the pasta. Let it cook undisturbed for about a minute, or until it begins to get brown and a little crusty on the bottom. Toss well, and cook until it is toasty and slightly chewy. Transfer pasta to a bowl.
- 7Add another 1/2 tablspoon of oil to the pan. When shimmering, add the lentils and cook them until they are slightly toasted, about 30 seconds a side. Transfer them to another bowl.
- 8Scoop out some rice onto a plate. Top with a scoop of pasta, lentils, tomato sauce, and some of the caramelized onions.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Koshary (Rice Lentils and Pasta in Tomato-Garlic Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 897.2
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 618.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 152.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 27.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: