Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for ZWT 6. Koshari is very similar to chili. It is made of lentils, rice and tomato sauce and cab be spicy. Koshari is a fast food meal in the Middle East, and is offered by street vendors in cities like Cairo. There are many variations, but this recipe should give you a good idea of what it is all about!
- Place lentils in saucepan with 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer on low for 30 minutes, or until tender. Add rice to the lentils and cook for another 20 minutes or so, until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions to an al dente stage.
- Combine lentils, rice and macaroni in large pot.
- Saute onions and garlic in pan in olive oil until browned.
- Add tomato sauce to onions and garlic and heat until bubbling. Remove from heat.
- Place a serving of lentil mixture on a plate and cover with sauce. Sprinkle red pepper on top and serve.
I really enjoyed this. I didn't have orzo or elbows, so I used the bows instead. It was still great. Do cook the lentils the entire time mentioned.