Very tasty for sausage and potato lovers. Comes from Sweden. I sometimes omit the apple slices, and add more potatoes.
- Crumble sausage into large heavy skillet and cook until lightly browned.
- remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Pour off all except 2 tablespoons of the pan drippings.
- Cook the onions in the drippings until golden brown and transparent.
- Add the apple slices and cook until tender.
- In a buttered 2 quart casserole, arrange layers of potatoes, sausage, and onion-apple mixture.
- Bake in a moderate 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
My son made this and he used ground pork sausage, it was very good. We will definately make it for breakfast again, maybe cut down to one apple.
This was great! My husband really liked this. I'm glad I put the apples in-they added a nice taste contrast. I put some cheddar on top. This is a good make ahead casserole-I made it the night before. The only thing I will change next time is to chop the onions. Easy, delicious, will be made again here! Thanks!
Very tasty casserole!! I just made half a recipe for the two of us and I used turkey sausage and left them whole. The apple, onion, potato combination complimented the sausage very well, I did add salt and pepper. Great tasting easy supper, we will make it again. Thanks for sharing!