Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Also known as "Slapped Ears" because of their shape. The prep time is mostly inactive.
Make and share this Korvapuusti: Finnish Cinnamon Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (room temperature)
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1 beaten egg plus 1 beaten egg for final glaze
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- pearl sugar or rock sugar, for dusting
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Combine milk, 4 tbsp melted butter, yeast, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Allow to sit 10 minutes or until yeast starts to bubble.
- Stir in salt, cardamom, and 1 beaten egg. Then, gradually stir in the flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- If you're using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook and knead at level 3 or 4 for about 7 minutes. If mixing by hand, knead on a lightly floured surface until it's smooth, shiny, and has lost most of its stickiness.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and allow to rise 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough, and divide into 2 equal halves. Roll each half into an 8"x14" rectangle, brush each half with melted butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Starting with the long side, tightly roll each half into a log. With a sharp knife, cut each diagonal lines to make 7 triangular rolls from each log.
- Place each roll, point up, on lightly greased baking sheets. Use a finger or a spoon to press down on each shape to make them look like ears. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Brush each roll with a beaten egg. Sprinkle each roll with pearl sugar, then bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.