2 hrs 25 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
Also known as "Slapped Ears" because of their shape. The prep time is mostly inactive.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (room temperature)
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cardamom
- 1 beaten egg plus 1 beaten egg for final glaze
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- pearl sugar or rock sugar, for dusting
- 1Combine milk, 4 tbsp melted butter, yeast, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Allow to sit 10 minutes or until yeast starts to bubble.
- 2Stir in salt, cardamom, and 1 beaten egg. Then, gradually stir in the flour until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- 3If you're using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook and knead at level 3 or 4 for about 7 minutes. If mixing by hand, knead on a lightly floured surface until it's smooth, shiny, and has lost most of its stickiness.
- 4Place in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and allow to rise 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- 5Punch down dough, and divide into 2 equal halves. Roll each half into an 8"x14" rectangle, brush each half with melted butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 6Starting with the long side, tightly roll each half into a log. With a sharp knife, cut each diagonal lines to make 7 triangular rolls from each log.
- 7Place each roll, point up, on lightly greased baking sheets. Use a finger or a spoon to press down on each shape to make them look like ears. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 8Preheat oven to 400°F Brush each roll with a beaten egg. Sprinkle each roll with pearl sugar, then bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korvapuusti: Finnish Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.1
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 19.8 mg
- Sodium 227.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 18.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: