Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This spicy dish is very flavorful but if you don't like it too spicy cut down on the chili.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean stewing beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb, cut in 3/4 " cubes
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (Olive is good)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup yellow split peas, washed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder or 2 -3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, saute the onion until transparent.
- Add garlic and meat cubes, stir frequently and continue cooking until the meat browns.
- Add water, salt, pepper,chili flakes,split peas& cumin.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender and the peas are soft.
- Add coriander and continue cooking for 10 miutes.
- Serve over a mound of steamed rice.
Despite the only rating this got, I decided to make this. I didn't mind the look, and the taste was very good! Unfortunately, I forgot to cut down on the chili, so it came out VERY spicy. (That was the first time I made it.) I made it one other time, and did about half the chili. My dad enjoyed a lot because he loves spice, however my mom and I still thought it was a little hot. Overall, though it was very good. I might make it again tonight. Also, I chose to use chicken stalk instead of water, and chicken instead of beef or lamb. It was a little watery, but a little flour took care of that! Thanks Bergy!
IT looks like **** but tastes good so i give it an 1 out of 100 cause of the way it looks