Recipe by Bergy
This spicy dish is very flavorful but if you don't like it too spicy cut down on the chili.
Top Review by TRG
Despite the only rating this got, I decided to make this. I didn't mind the look, and the taste was very good! Unfortunately, I forgot to cut down on the chili, so it came out VERY spicy. (That was the first time I made it.) I made it one other time, and did about half the chili. My dad enjoyed a lot because he loves spice, however my mom and I still thought it was a little hot. Overall, though it was very good. I might make it again tonight. Also, I chose to use chicken stalk instead of water, and chicken instead of beef or lamb. It was a little watery, but a little flour took care of that! Thanks Bergy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean stewing beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb, cut in 3/4 " cubes
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (Olive is good)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup yellow split peas, washed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coriander powder or 2 -3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, saute the onion until transparent.
- Add garlic and meat cubes, stir frequently and continue cooking until the meat browns.
- Add water, salt, pepper,chili flakes,split peas& cumin.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender and the peas are soft.
- Add coriander and continue cooking for 10 miutes.
- Serve over a mound of steamed rice.