Pesto lover's Note:
ZWT 6. I got this recipe from one of my very favorite cookbooks, The Complete Book of Korean Cooking, by Young Jin Song. I think most people would like this recipe, though it is a bit spicy and tangy. I usually use serrano chilies, but you could use jalapenos if you want less heat. Serve with plain white rice. I use Japanese short grain rice with this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, filets or 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- 2 dried red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 3 walnuts, finely chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
for the marinade
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
for the sauce
- 1Cut chicken into bite-size strips and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well and add the chicken, rubbing the mixture thoroughly into the meat. Leave to marinae for 20 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle the marinated chicken with a thin coating of cornstarch, covering the meat well and evenly.
- 4Fill a wok or medium heavy skillet one third full of vegetable oil and heat to 340 degrees F.
- 5Add the chicken and deep-fry for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the chicken and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- 6Blend all the sauce ingredients together in a large pan, adding the garlic cloves whole, and heat over a medium heat.
- 7Once the sauce in bubbling, add the chicken and stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- 8Simmer until the sauce has formed a sticky glaze over the chicken and add the chilies. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the walnuts on top as a garnish.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korean Sweet and Spicy Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 786.4
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 1164.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 52.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: