Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The long cooking time makes these ribs really tender. And the sauce has a great flavor that makes a perfect part of any Asian meal.
- 12 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 lbs short rib of beef
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup daikon radishes or 1 cup turnip, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or 3 tablespoons vodka
- 1⁄2 cup condensed beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup sliced bamboo shoot
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 -3 serrano chili, finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- hot cooked rice
- Soak mushrooms in boiling water, submerged, for 30 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from liquid and save liquid.
- Cut stems off of mushrooms and discard.
- Dry mushrooms, cut in half, and set aside.
- Season ribs with black pepper.
- Brown ribs in broiler or skillet on both sides, about 10 minutes.
- Drain fat on paper toweling.
- Place ribs in crockpot.
- Cook onions, carrots, and turnip (if using), in oil in a skillet until the vegetables are softened.
- Place vegetables over ribs in crockpot, along with mushrooms.
- Stir together garlic, ginger, wine/vodka, beef stock, soy sauce, corn syrup, and mushroom liquid.
- Pour over everything in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Add the bamboo shoots and the daikon (if using) and cook on high for 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in the scallions, serrano chiles, and sesame oil, then serve with cooked rice.