Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups short-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 lb sirloin steak, tips trimmed and sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- 10 ounces Baby Spinach (10 cups)
- 4 large eggs
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Bring water, rice, and 1 teaspoon salt to boil in medium saucepan over med-high heat.
- Cook until water level drops below surface of rice and small holes form, about 5 minutes.
- Decrease heat to low, cover, and cook until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons soy sauce and sugar together in large bowl.
- Add steak and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- Cook half of steak until well browned, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to bowl and tent loosely with foil.
- Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining steak.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, mushrooms, and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce to now empty skillet and cook until mushrooms are soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and tent with foil.
- Portion rice into bowls and top with beef and mushroom-spinach mixture; keep bowls warm in oven.
- Wipe out skillet and heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Crack eggs into 2 small bowls (2 eggs each).
- Add eggs to skillet, pour each bowl into opposite side of skillet.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until whites are set, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove bowls from oven and top each with 1 egg; serve.