Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
A sweet, savoury and spicy marinade infuses slices of otherwise plain tofu before they're crusted in sesame seeds and grilled to crispy perfection. More tofu recipes and ideas are in my cookbooks: http://yummysmells.blogspot.ca/p/buy-sarahs-cookbooks.html
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 small pear, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into 1/2-inch slabs
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- Combine all the ingredients (except tofu and sesame seeds) in a blender and puree. Pour into a shallow dish.
- Place tofu in the marinade, turning to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 24 hours – 5 days.
- Remove tofu from the marinade (you can use it to make a sauce if you want, since there’s no raw meat involved) and roll in the sesame seeds.
- Preheat a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat (I don’t recommend an actual barbecue for this unless the grate is really narrow). Grease well.
- Place tofu in one layer on the pan and cook 6 minutes, then carefully turn over and cook another 5-6 minutes.
- Serve as part of a rice or noodle bowl, or with a stir fry. This also tastes great as part of a sandwich or wrap.