Chef mariajane's Note:
This dinner for four only costs a little more than $10.00 to make and diners will welcome the Asian-inspired flavours that change it from an everyday casserole. Prepare pork and cabbage up to a day in advance and use leftover rice to cut back on prep time for a fast week-night meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb beef, extra-lean
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 4 cups savoy cabbage or 4 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups cooked white rice (short-grain or medium-grain)
- toasted sesame seeds
- slivered green onion
- 1In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, red chili flakes, oil, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. In a medium bowl, add pork and pour half of the marinade over it, stirring to combine.
- 2In another medium bowl, add onions, and cabbage and pour remaining marinade over top. Let pork and cabbage mixtures stand for 15 minutes at room temperature or for up to one day in the refrigerator.
- 3In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add pork; breaking it up with the back of a spoon until brown and no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Transfer cooked pork to a bowl.
- 4In same skillet, add cabbage mixture with marinade and cook until onions are translucent and cabbage is tender-crisp, about 10 minutes. Return pork to skillet, with any accumulated juices, tossing to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes, until flavours combine.
- 5Divide rice into 4 bowls. Top each with pork mixture and serve immediately. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korean Rice Bowl
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.1
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 106.6 mg
- Sodium 1116.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 37.8 g