Chef #868008's Note:
Korean Spicy Squid from hannaone.com the Korean cooker
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small whole squid
- 4 green onions or 4 spring onions
- 2 large hot green peppers (JalapeÃƒ o or hot green chili)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon pure toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 large carrot (optional)
- 1/2 white onions (optional) or 1/2 yellow onion (optional)
- 1/4 small green cabbage (optional)
- 3 large mushrooms (optional)
- 1 head broccoli (optional)
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- 2 tablespoons red chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled
- water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon fine ground red chili pepper (optional)
- 1Stir Fry Sauce.
- 2Cut ginger into smaller pieces.
- 3Put ginger, garlic, rice wine, and soy sauce into blender, then blend into smooth paste (add just a bit of water if needed to aid in blending).
- 4Mix blended paste and all other sauce ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for fifteen minutes. Thin with water as needed to make a "pourable" paste.
- 6Clean the squid. (Your fish market should be able to clean the squid for you) Wash well in cold water.
- 7Slit the squid body from the triangle (where the "wings" and body meet) to the head cavity, open and flatten.
- 8Cut into 1/4 inch wide strips from the "head" to the "tail".
- 9Cut the strips into about 2 inch sections.
- 10Slit the tentacle ring, flatten, and cut each tentacle free from the others. Cut tentacles into about 2 inch sections.
- 11Wash peppers in cold water and remove stems. Cut in half from top to bottom, then slice each half into three or four slivers from top to bottom.
- 12Trim top and bottom of green onions, wash in cold water, then cut into about 2 inch lengths.
- 13Optional Vegetables (Use any or all).
- 14Cut onion in half from to bottom. Slice 1/2 the onion, from top to bottom, into about 1/4 inch wide slices.
- 15Remove and discard outer cabbage leaves, then cut in half from top to bottom. Cut one section in half again, from top to bottom. Slice into about 1/2 inch wide slices.
- 16Trim top and bottom of carrot, and wash in cold water. Cut into strips about the same size as the squid strips.
- 17Wash and thin slice mushrooms.
- 18Separate broccoli florets and wash in cold water.
- 20Preheat a large stir fry pan over high heat for about 30 seconds. Add cooking oil then add in the following order, about 30 to 45 seconds apart.
- 21(Broccoli and carrot, stir fry about 40 seconds if used).
- 22(Onion slices, stir fry 30 seconds if used).
- 23Squid, green onion, (and cabbage if used), stir fry 30 seconds.
- 24Sauce and pepper, stir fry 2 minutes.
- 25Remove from heat and add sesame oil, toss and serve garnished with sesame seed.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Korean Ojingo Bokum
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.4
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 379.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red chili paste