Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
The traditional soup for celebrating the new year.
- 1 lb rice cake, frozen, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb sirloin steak
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 egg, beaten
- Soak rice cake slices in cold water for 1 hour while preparing beef.
- With sharp knife, slice beef into thin strips. Combine soy sauce, sesame seeds, garlic, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl. Mix beef and soy sauce mixture together.
- In large soup kettle, stir-fry beef until meat begins to brown.
- Add broth to beef mixture in kettle. Bring to a boil, then lower heat. Simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- Separate each individual rice cake from frozen clumps; this helps rice cake cook evenly.
- Add rice cakes to soup along with sliced onions. Cook just until rice cakes rise to the surface of the soup, 20 to 25 minutes. Do not overcook; rice cakes should be chewy.
- Pour beaten egg into bubbling soup; stir well. Egg will cook immediately. Serve hot.