Recipe by Sharon123
This is an EASY version you can make in a day! Cook time is marinating time. Prep time is soaking time for the cabbage.
Top Review by cajun chef in Louisiana
I must have done something wrong or misread the recipe. I followed it exactly as written, soaked the cabbage in 5 tbs. salt which seemed like so so much but I rinsed it really well and squeezed out the juice. The recipe calls for 6 tbs. salt so I added the additional tbs. along with the other ingredients and was very skeptical of the additional salt. The flavor is fantastic but we can't eat it, way way way to salty for us and we love salt, it's just not edible. What did I do wrong???
- 5 cups cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (according to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large colander, mix cabbage with 4 Tbs salt.
- Let sit for 3 hours.
- Rinse cabbage thoroughly 2 or 3 times.
- Gently squeeze out excess liquid with your hands.
- Place the drained cabbage in a large glass bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly(This is salty, if you like, add less salt, to taste).
- Cover cabbage mixture tightly with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 or 2 days.
- Chill Kim Chee before serving.