Prep 3 hrs
Cook 24 hrs
This is an EASY version you can make in a day! Cook time is marinating time. Prep time is soaking time for the cabbage.
- 5 cups cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (according to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- In a large colander, mix cabbage with 4 Tbs salt.
- Let sit for 3 hours.
- Rinse cabbage thoroughly 2 or 3 times.
- Gently squeeze out excess liquid with your hands.
- Place the drained cabbage in a large glass bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly(This is salty, if you like, add less salt, to taste).
- Cover cabbage mixture tightly with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 or 2 days.
- Chill Kim Chee before serving.
I must have done something wrong or misread the recipe. I followed it exactly as written, soaked the cabbage in 5 tbs. salt which seemed like so so much but I rinsed it really well and squeezed out the juice. The recipe calls for 6 tbs. salt so I added the additional tbs. along with the other ingredients and was very skeptical of the additional salt. The flavor is fantastic but we can't eat it, way way way to salty for us and we love salt, it's just not edible. What did I do wrong???
This was good. I think it had a little too much salt for my taste, so next time I may add a little less. Could be I didn't rinse the cabbage well enough after it sat for the first 3 hours. I will be making this again! Thanks so much!!
Good recipe. I add Sriracha Hot Sauce or Sambal Oelek or perhaps Hey Fong chile garlic sauce. 1-3 tablespoons. I like it HOT. Sometimes I add a splash of rice vinegar and soy to jumpstart the fermentation. You can also add Nuc Mam fish sauce. I like to add shredded carrot as well.